[SciPy-Dev] Recent changes to scipy stats

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Wed Jun 2 18:27:14 CDT 2010

On 2 June 2010 12:51, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was saddened to witness the tone of these conversations, and I wish
>> certain rash personal comments by Charles and David G were rather not
>> made; they certainly don't reflect the attitude of the community as a
>> whole.
>
> Well - hold on though.  Of course we should call people out on being
> personally offensive - but if we're going to do that, we should do it
> at the time of the email - directly to that person - it's only fair.

Unfortunately, those comments were made in public; if we express our
disagreement in private only, the offended party would never even be
aware of any disagreement in the community.  As for calling people out
at time of writing, such a time limit suggests that any distress
caused is similarly limited, which it is not.

> And - I think we have to be careful also to defend our ability to be
> direct and honest when then are problems that need to be addressed.
> Any community needs that in order to grow, I believe.

Yes, absolutely: direct and honest discourse is great.  Offensive
statements are not.

Regards
Stéfan