[SciPy-Dev] Clarification: is the Extended Summary section optional?

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Wed Jun 2 20:54:30 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Vincent Davis <vincent@vincentdavis.net>wrote:

> I just setup an account. vincentdavis
> I assume I will find instruction but how does the review/commit of
> updates work (in brief)

Ah, good question, with a somewhat complicated answer, I'm afraid.  At a
minimum, when a writer/editor feels that a docstring is "done," s/he
"promotes" it to "Needs review" status.  In addition, since we feel that,
very generally speaking, a "Needs review" docstring is in a more advanced
state than whatever is in the current distribution, s/he also marks the
docstring as "OK to apply Yes."  Then, eventually, two things happen: a
release manager/worker comes along and merges "OK to apply Yes" docstrings
into the source code, and a reviewer - different than the writer/editor(s)
who worked on the docstring - comes along, reviews the docstring, and either
promotes it to "Reviewed, needs proof" or demotes it to "Reviewed, needs
work."

Here is where it gets a little "complicated."  The review effort, which
_NumPy_ is largely ready for, is stalled pending implementation of
enhancements to the Wiki to support a dual review system: in the past,
parties have found reviewed and proofed, i.e., "finalized" docstrings which
are either pretty unclear, or were pretty clear but had technical
deficiencies.  Consequently, we've been wanting to implement a system
whereby each docstring must pass both a technical and a "presentation"
review, but, as I said, the Wiki presently doesn't support this.  Joe
Harrington and myself have been trying to line up the labor to get this
done, so far unsuccessfully.  I think there may soon be an announcement
concerning this...  (The delay in the review process is at least in part why
we've opted to go ahead and start incorporating "unfinalized" docstrings
into the source.)

Welcome aboard, and thanks!

DG

> Thanks
> Vincent
>
> 2010/6/2 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>:
> > On 2 June 2010 16:03, Benjamin Root <ben.root@ou.edu> wrote:
> >> You may have my keyboard!
> >>
> >> Seriously, though, I just registered a username on the wiki (weathergod)
> and
> >> I would like to help out with documentation.
> >
> > Added, and welcome!
> >
> > Cheers
> > Stéfan

by Robert Graves)