[SciPy-Dev] Deprecate stats.glm?

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Thu Jun 3 10:32:59 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:38 AM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Warren Weckesser
> <warren.weckesser@enthought.com> wrote:
>> stats.glm looks like it was started and then abandoned without being
>> finished.  It was last touched in November 2007.  Should this function
>> be deprecated so it can eventually be removed?
>
> My thoughts when I looked at it was roughly:
> leave it alone since it's working, but don't "advertise" it because we
> should get a better replacement.
> similar to linregress the more general version will be available when
> scipy.stats gets the full OLS model.

Wait, what does 'glm' have to do with OLS (or t-tests) anyway? Surely
if anything it *should* be a function that fits, you know, GLMs
(generalized linear models)?

I guess this is a vote for removing it, because GLMs are one of the
fundamental stats models that people will look for, and having some
weird, broken, other thing in the obvious place is just confusing and
looks really bad.

-- Nathaniel