[SciPy-Dev] Building docs in scipy?

Fri Jun 4 06:30:57 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:

> Thu, 03 Jun 2010 23:52:10 -0400, Skipper Seabold wrote:
> > Should numpy/doc/sphinxext be distributed with scipy/doc/ or is this
> > user error?  I couldn't get the scipy docs to build until I copied it
> > over.
>
> It's pulled in by svn:externals. With git, ymmv. It probably should be
> included in the distribution tarballs, nevertheless.
>
> Matthew helpfully pointed out some options (thanks!) to do this in git:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.devel

However, none of the options he gave are automatic, so people will keep
running into this. I think building docs should work out of the box, so I
see 2 options:
1. we copy sphinxext in scipy. it's not like it changes often, so keeping
things in sync manually is doable.
2. sphinxext becomes a numpy module that can be imported and used from
scipy.

Including it in the tarballs while it's not in the repo is not a good idea
imho - tarballs should be exactly the same as the svn tag.

Cheers,
Ralf