[SciPy-Dev] Does Matlab need to be MATLAB(TM)...

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Fri Jun 4 07:26:31 CDT 2010

On 6/4/2010 3:03 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> As for the TM, I tend to agree, it is pretty irrelevant, though I am not a
> lawyer. It might be better from a legal point to leave them there.

I think the usual rule is that the first use should show
the trademark. I cannot find that explicitly as law, but
see e.g.
http://www.filemaker.com/company/legal/trademark_guidelines.html

The key role of the TM symbol is to avoid confusion
about branding, so in the case of MATLAB, this actually should
be more than adequate, since it is a clear case of nominative use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_use

fwiw,
Alan Isaac