[SciPy-Dev] ANN: SciPy 0.8.0 beta 1

Mon Jun 7 11:56:10 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>wrote:

>>> Thanks for getting the beta out!
>>>
>>> The release notes say Numpy 1.3 or greater is needed - is this
>>> correct? Above you say 1.4.1 is needed.
>>

>> No, 1.4.1 is needed. Notes are fixed now.
>>

>>> I think "support for
>>> Python 3 in Scipy might not yet be included in Scipy 0.8" is too
>>> ambiguous. Just say 0.8 will not be compatible with Python 3, but
>>> we expect the next version (0.9?) to be compatible, if that's the
>>> case.
>>>
>>> Reworded as:
>> "Python 3 compatibility is planned and is currently technically
>> feasible, since Numpy has been ported. However, since the Python 3
>> compatible Numpy 2.0 has not been released yet, support for Python 3
>> in Scipy is not yet included in Scipy 0.8.  SciPy 0.9, planned for fall
>> 2010, will very likely include experimental support for Python 3."
>>

> Are we going to release a Numpy 1.5?

Yes. Guess I should reread such a paragraph a few times before committing.

The only reason I've not made a 1.5 branch yet is I will only have time for
a numpy release cycle at or towards the end of this scipy release cycle.
Saves some backporting. If you think it'd be useful to do it now please let
me know.

> Also, the beta release should be noted on the SciPy home page.

Done. For the previous releases I put only the final release there. Maybe
good to announce beta/rc releases but then just update the announcement
instead of adding new items each time. It's a small sidebar after all.

> Maybe adding such notes needs to be part of the how-to-release checklist
> since it tends to be forgotten.

The scipy.org announcement is in there. I'll add a "check the release notes
for ..." item.

Here is my checklist of things to do before 0.8.0rc1. I'm traveling (without
computer) for the next week, so if anyone wants to tackle any of these
items, that would be be very helpful.
- remove stuff in scipy.io as explained in 0.7.0 release notes
- fix paver dmg task to include docs
- add sphinxext to tarballs?
- check numscons works
- SSE instruction ticket: http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1170