[SciPy-Dev] ANN: SciPy 0.8.0 beta 1

David david@silveregg.co...
Mon Jun 7 20:03:51 CDT 2010

On 06/08/2010 01:56 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com <mailto:charlesr.harris@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Ralf Gommers
>     <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com <mailto:ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>>
>     wrote:
>

>         On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Neil Crighton
>         <neilcrighton@gmail.com <mailto:neilcrighton@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers <at> googlemail.com
>             <http://googlemail.com>> writes:
>
>              >  I'm pleased to announce the first beta release of SciPy
>              > 0.8.0.SciPy is a package of tools for science and engineering
>              > for Python.It includes modules for statistics, optimization,
>              > integration, linearalgebra, Fourier transforms, signal and
>              > image processing, ODE solvers, and more.This beta release
>             comes
>              > almost one and a half year after the 0.7.0 release
>             andcontains
>              > many new features, numerous bug-fixes, improved testcoverage,
>              > and better documentation.  Please note that SciPy 0.8.0b1
>              > requires Python 2.4 or greater and NumPy 1.4.1 or greater.
>
>             Thanks for getting the beta out!
>
>             The release notes say Numpy 1.3 or greater is needed - is this
>             correct? Above you say 1.4.1 is needed.
>

>         No, 1.4.1 is needed. Notes are fixed now.
>
>             I think "support for
>             Python 3 in Scipy might not yet be included in Scipy 0.8" is too
>             ambiguous. Just say 0.8 will not be compatible with Python
>             3, but
>             we expect the next version (0.9?) to be compatible, if
>             that's the
>             case.
>
>         Reworded as:
>         "Python 3 compatibility is planned and is currently technically
>         feasible, since Numpy has been ported. However, since the Python 3
>         compatible Numpy 2.0 has not been released yet, support for Python 3
>         in Scipy is not yet included in Scipy 0.8.  SciPy 0.9, planned
>         for fall
>         2010, will very likely include experimental support for Python 3."
>

>     Are we going to release a Numpy 1.5?
>

> Yes. Guess I should reread such a paragraph a few times before committing.
>
> The only reason I've not made a 1.5 branch yet is I will only have time
> for a numpy release cycle at or towards the end of this scipy release
> cycle. Saves some backporting. If you think it'd be useful to do it now
> please let me know.

I don't think we should make the 1.5 branch now - there is a lot of
things missing, and I would really like to put everything that is needed
for python 3.x support in scipy in the 1.5 release. And AFAIK, we have
not cleaned up the branch to make it ABI compatible with 1.4.x.

I can't give a hard timeline, but I hope to have some time during euroscipy,

cheers,

David