[SciPy-Dev] Data Types documentation page questions?

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Thu Jun 10 18:52:14 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Vincent Davis <vincent@vincentdavis.net>wrote:

> Regarding this page
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/basics.types.html
>
> I assume there is a "-" missing here
> int64   Integer (9223372036854775808 to 9223372036854775807)

Yes, the left number should be negative.

> Also I would suggest that the intervals on these data type use
> standard mathematical notations for open and closed interval. "(", and
> "["

Except that notation is used for real number intervals, not sets of integers
(at least, I've never seen it used w/ sets of integers).  And were you to
make the change, it would simply be replacing every "(" with a "[" and every
")" with a "]" (because, the way the ranges are given, they all include
their endpoints) - I think the risk of misunderstanding on the part of the
reader is minimal and thus any benefit is hardly worth the effort.

DG

> Vincent

by Robert Graves)