[SciPy-Dev] Updating constants

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Jun 11 00:29:39 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Vincent Davis <vincent@vincentdavis.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Vincent Davis
> <vincent@vincentdavis.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:38 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought these are constants. Did they change the value of Pi recently?
>>
>> They found more digits of Pi :)
>> I was referring to "Fundamental Physical Constants" scipy.constants.codata
>> I don't know, it's not easy to compare. I assume there was a reason
>> they updated the list. There is an Uncertainty value on many of them
>> so I assume the actual value don't change but our estimate does.
>>
>> http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Constants/index.html
>> release dates 1986, 1998, 2002, 2006
>>
>> Vincent
>>

>>> just curious: What has changed?
>>>

> I just relived I can update the constants and then compare them with
> the old. Should be quick, I will send out the diff in the morning.

quote from the REVIEWS OF MODERN PHYSICS paper:

"Although just four years separate the 31 December closing dates of
the 2002 and 2006 adjustments, there are a number of important new
results to consider. Experimental advances include the 2003 Atomic
Mass Evaluation from the Atomic Mass Data Center (AMDC),which provides
new values for the relative atomic masses Ar(X) of a number of
relevant atoms; a new value of ..."

Josef
“Curiouser and curiouser!”