[SciPy-Dev] import scipy convention in docstring Examples

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Sun Jun 13 14:54:33 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:43 PM, David Goldsmith
<d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Warren Weckesser <
> warren.weckesser@enthought.com> wrote:
>
>> David Goldsmith wrote:
>> > Hi!  For the Examples in the numpy docstrings, we have the convention
>> > that we do not need to include "import numpy" (because that is done by
>> > our automated example tester) but when we're using a numpy namespace
>> > object, we need to prefix it with "np." (because that's how our
>> > automated tester is importing it).  Is there a similar convention for
>> > docstring Examples in scipy?
>> >

>> According to http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/CodingStyleGuidelines,
>> "The examples may assume that import numpy as np is executed before the
>> example code in numpy, and import scipy as sp in scipy. "  But sp does
>> not appear to be widely used; I can only find it used in
>> ndimage.geometric_transform and ndimage.map_coordinates.

Sorry, hit send too soon. :(  As I was saying: thanks Warren - obviously, I
need to do a little better research before I post.  As far as the low
occurrence, however, this actually does not surprise me much: aside from the
simple dearth of scipy docstrings from which such a search would produce
results, unlike the numpy examples, where it is common to want/need
something in the numpy-level namespace, scipy is structured such that it
will probably be rare that things in the scipy-level namespace are
needed/wanted - I mainly asked to just get it announced: in the Examples in
the scipy docstrings, explicitly import the namespaces you need, EXCEPT for
scipy itself - if you need something from that namespace, it will already be
there for you, abbreviated as "sp."

Thanks again,

DG

> Thanks, Warren, I d
>

>> Warren
>>

>> > DG
>>

> --
> Mathematician: noun, someone who disavows certainty when their uncertainty
> set is non-empty, even if that set has measure zero.
>
> Hope: noun, that delusive spirit which escaped Pandora's jar and, with her
> lies, prevents mankind from committing a general suicide.  (As interpreted
> by Robert Graves)

by Robert Graves)