[SciPy-Dev] stats.nanstd interface

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Wed Jun 16 09:20:34 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/16/2010 07:55 AM, Angus McMorland wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just updated the docstring for scipy.stats.nanstd to the new
>> docstring standard's format. I wonder if, for consistency of
>> interface, we should consider changing it to use a `ddof` parameter,
>> as numpy's std function does, instead of its current `bias` boolean
>> parameter. I'm aware that there are deprecation/API implications
>> associated with this, but I'm not sure what the specifics of those
>> are.
>>
>> Angus.
>>

> Please file a ticket for it.
> Can you please add all the differences between the signature between
> numpy's version and this version?
> In particular, the default axis of stats.nanstd is zero compared to None.
> It also lacks the dtype argument.

default axis in scipy.stats is zero not None as in numpy.
np.nansum has no dtype argument, nans can be only in float (I never
checked complex for this), so I don't know whether dtype would be
useful in this case.

> Really the function needs at least a rewrite unless numpy can provide
> same functionality.

Can you be more specific, we just rewrote axis handling

I think switching to ddof is a good idea. (FYI: I cannot work on
anything for another two weeks).

Josef