[SciPy-Dev] fftpack test failures for 0.8.0b1

Thu Jun 17 10:48:33 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Below are two test failures in fftpack. The test data is random, so they
> happen only occasionally. I decreased the precision to decimal=5 and
> maxulp=1e4, but still got one failure of each test in 200 test runs. The
> TestSingleIFFT failure always occurs with an array of size 111. This is on
> OS X 10.6, the same first error was also reported on 10.5.
>
> What should be done with these failures?

I guess the first thing is to figure out what is going on, and that needs
something repeatable. Maybe the test could be repeated with a set of seeds
until the problem appears. Also, since 111 = 3*37, I wonder what happens
with other odd primes besides 37. It might be worth testing with 97 and
other such.

Chuck