[SciPy-Dev] "ok to apply" permission request

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Fri Jun 18 15:44:11 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:53:15 -0500, Benjamin Root wrote:
> > I am requesting permission for "ok to apply" in the wiki documentation
> > editor.  My wiki user name is "weathergod"
>
> What do you need it for?
>
> The feature was primarily intended to be mainly used by the person who is
> going to commit the changes finally to SVN, for checking that nothing
> absurd slips past.

I don't understand: if they're going to commit the changes, why do they need
to be able to mark that they're going to commit the changes?  To help them
remember which ones they've screened as possessing nothing "absurd" in case
they can't commit the changes immediately after they've decided to commit
the changes?

> Typically the way to just indicate that stuff is
> "done", is to mark is as "Needs review", at the moment.

I guess then I'm really unclear as to the need for the "OK to apply"; my
understanding was that it was there for the editor to signal to the commitor
that, even thought the docstring is technically *not* ready for review
(e.g., it's still missing an Example, say, or a needed Reference), it still
represents a big enough improvement over what's in SVN that, in the editor's
opinion, it is "OK to apply".  If "Needs review" is necessary and sufficient
for something to be applied, then why do we need the extra "OK to apply"?

DG

PS: I'm the one who told Ben he should ask for this permission, because I
felt he needed it.