[SciPy-Dev] "ok to apply" permission request

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Sat Jun 19 15:10:01 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 5:49 AM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com
>> > wrote:

>>> OK, I understand that, and it makes sense during the regular course of
>>> the year when docstring changes aren't happening as frequently, but,
>>> something to consider, perhaps through the course of the Summer Marathon,
>>> "OK to apply"s should be merged once per week or some such?
>>>

>> It always makes sense. "OK to apply" should only be used by (a) someone
>> who is about to commit to svn or (b) someone who is 200% sure what this
>> means.
>>
>> A few weeks ago I was committing all scipy changes and found many "OK to
>> apply" ones that couldn't actually be committed, for various reasons. This
>> meant I had to go back and recheck everything, including ones I had checked
>> as OK myself before.
>>
>> So a rough sanity check is much easier to do in the web system, and the

>>> Not necessarily (certainly not in that I don't have the permissions to
>>> grant such permissions; I don't even have permissions to commit changes): it
>>> depends on the purpose of the attribute - if it's closer to what you say,
>>> then I agree, it should be a reviewer/committor (though I didn't think those
>>> were one and the same) who controls this; if, on the other hand, the purpose
>>> is closer to what I say, then, at minimum, we need to think more about how
>>> we do this.
>>>

>> It's not only about content, but also for example knowing for which
>> docstrings pydocweb can not generate correct patches at the moment.
>>

> Ah, in that case, please rescind my "OK to apply" permissions.  Thanks!
>
> DG

In that case, I will just keep on doing what I have been doing.  Keep in
mind, though, that I have come across some entries that have been marked for
review that were almost a year old.  So, I don't know how much time the
reviewers have to go over the many entries we will be completing over this
summer.

Ben Root