[SciPy-Dev] N.angle(nan)

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Mar 3 09:43:01 CST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 02:28, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!  N.angle(z) returns nan if either z.real or z.imag is nan; presently,
> this is not documented in its docstring, but it is traceable to the
> low-level c functions N.angle uses to do its work, so I'm assuming it's a
> bug in the doc, not in the code, i.e., is intended behavior, correct?

It is intended behavior. I'm not sure it *needs* to be documented or
that it's a doc bug that it isn't explicitly mentioned. If we were
explicit about every time an input containing a NaN generates a NaN in
the output, we would document nothing else. I would think this
behavior is obvious once you know how NaNs usually work.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco