[SciPy-Dev] Why does optimize.nonlin take a tuple for func to optimize?

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Wed Mar 10 15:47:52 CST 2010

ke, 2010-03-10 kello 16:09 -0500, Skipper Seabold kirjoitti:
> I am curious why optimize.nonlin expects a tuple for the function to
> optimize?  This seems inconsistent with the other optimize methods I
> have used in optimize.
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.optimize.nonlin/
>
> Are there any objections to changing this to be more consistent with
> the other solvers which take something like (F, x0, args=()) and use
> optimize.wrap_function for the function to be optimized?  Perhaps
> there is something I am missing.

The nonlin module requires significant cleanup. I did some work last
spring on this, but didn't have time to finish it up fully.
http://codereview.appspot.com/62059/show
http://codereview.appspot.com/52096/show

The main holdup is the refactoring of line searches, and ensuring this
does not break anything, plus the overall design of the new nonlin
interfaces.

--
Pauli Virtanen