[SciPy-Dev] scipy.misc.ppimport

Wed Mar 24 13:40:23 CDT 2010

Hi,

A new ticket on the scipy trac
(http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1136) reports a problem with
scipy.misc.ppimport.  Not long ago I fixed a couple blatant typos in
ppimport.py (because of another ticket,
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1133), but I didn't actually try
to use the ppimport() function.

I think this code has problems.  There was code in there that could
never have worked, and there are no tests.

I'm not going to have time to work on ppimport, and after a little
searching, I wonder if anyone should bother.  In scipy trunk, the only
actual use of anything related to ppimport is in the info() function in
misc.helpmod.py, and it just checks if the object for which info is
being requested has attributes assigned by ppimport.  But if nothing
else in scipy actually uses ppimport, the code in info() is moot.

All the info.py files of the various scipy packages contain
'postpone_import = 1', but I don't see any code that actually uses this
variable.

What's the history of ppimport?  Why does it exist in scipy?  Pearu
Peterson worked on this several years ago, but it is not clear to me how
it is currently used.  Can we simply get rid of it, or am I missing
something?

Warren