[SciPy-Dev] [fwrap-users] Work on fwrap and SciPy

Kurt Smith kwmsmith@gmail....
Wed Nov 3 22:31:51 CDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 7:58 PM, David <david@silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
> On 11/04/2010 06:00 AM, Kurt Smith wrote:
>

>>>   c) fwrap does not support g77, only Fortran 90 compilers like
>>> gfortran/ifort etc. For the purposes of the .NET port this is likely to be
>>> good enough. Before a merge with the main CPython branch one must perhaps
>>> look into implementing g77 support in fwrap. I know that David C. at least
>>> earlier stated that g77 support is not going away anytime soon. Feedback on
>>> this welcome.
>
> G77 is still the "standard" fortran compiler on significant platforms
> (mingw and RHEL/Centos). Could you quickly explain why g77 is not usable
> with fwrap ? Would it take a long time to add support (if that is even
> possible) ?

...not *currently* usable.  Fwrap's fortran-C wrappers use features
defined in the 2003 standard that make it easy to generate portable
wrapping code.  These features allow wrapping of fortran
90/95-specific constructs.

g77 support is certainly possible, given sufficient effort.  I am in
favor of it, but someone else will have to do it (I'm happy to pitch
in, of course).  It will require a good deal of work that I can't
justify given my requirements for the tool.

Kurt