[SciPy-Dev] [fwrap-users] Work on fwrap and SciPy

David david@silveregg.co...
Wed Nov 3 23:43:33 CDT 2010

On 11/04/2010 01:10 PM, David Warde-Farley wrote:
> On 2010-11-03, at 11:31 PM, Kurt Smith wrote:
>
>> g77 support is certainly possible, given sufficient effort.  I am in
>> favor of it, but someone else will have to do it (I'm happy to pitch
>> in, of course).  It will require a good deal of work that I can't
>> justify given my requirements for the tool.
>
> There's also the issue (correct me if this has changed since we spoke in Austin, Kurt) that Fwrap isn't gfortran 4.2 compatible, yet on OS X the recommended binary distribution of gfortran for SciPy is a 4.2 build. I recall Robert saying at some point that building a 100% correctly working gfortran (on OS X, at least?) is a nightmare.

Building compilers with universal support is indeed very error prone,
especially gfortran. I have built gcc in many weird configurations, none
(even building gcc on windows) was as difficult as this.

It may worth being looked at, maybe with the help of the R guys who did
the build available on att website,

cheers,

David