[SciPy-Dev] Advice on py3 debugging

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Thu Nov 11 17:07:59 CST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am in the process of trying to make sure that my matlab io changes
> work on python 3.
>
> For python2 I am used to:
>
> linking <installed_packages>/scipy/io/matlab to the repository working
> tree scipy/scipy/io/matlab
> building the scipy/io/matlab directory inplace with 'python setup.py
> build_ext --inplace'
>
> Of course I now realize that's not going to work because of the python
> 2to3 step.  Do you have any advice on how to avoid a full reinstall
> for testing individual packages in scipy?

I should say that the nasty solution that I have now is a temporary
Makefile in <working_tree>/scipy/scipy/io/matlab:

TMP_BUILD = $(HOME)/tmp/scipy-matlab-files

py3-py:
	rsync -r --delete . $(TMP_BUILD)
	cd $(TMP_BUILD) && 2to3 -w *.py tests/*.py && python3 setup.py build_ext -i

and I link $(TMP_BUILD) as <installed_packages>/scipy/io/matlab

See you,

Matthew