[SciPy-Dev] schedule for scipy 0.9.0 [scipy.interpolate]

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Nov 12 14:09:35 CST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 9:48 AM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Sounds OK to me. I think we should try to time it so that it gets in
>> > Ubuntu.
>> >
>> > Some tasks that would be nice to do before that in scipy.interpolate:
>> >
>> >  - Write a interpolation routine for N-d *structured* interpolation.
>> >    (ndimage.map_coordinates is difficult to find, so it would be useful
>> >    to have an interpolation-oriented routine for that in
>> >    scipy.interpolate).
>> >
>> >  - Deprecate interp2d, as it does not work well for most problems,
>> >    and its calling convention is a bit wonky. People should use either
>> >    `griddata` or splines depending on what they want to do.
>> >
>> >  - Clean up the spline routines:
>> >
>> >    - We have two incompatible implementations for 1-D splines there,
>> >      on from FITPACK, and a pure-Python one by Travis. I don't remember
>> >      if one of them has an advantage over the other.
>> >
>> >      I think that either `splmake` the one should be deprecated, or
>> >      the spline representation it uses made compatible with FITPACK.
>> >
>> >    - Deprecate the bispl* and spl* routines, leaving only the
>> >      object-oriented interface.
>>
>> These are in some cases more robust and give better control, the
>> classes look a bit "messy". I would only depreciate them if the
>> classes get some makeover.
>
> Which classes? If the ones in interpolate, I agree that they are a bit
> limited.

interpolate UnivariateSpline, and BivariateSpline classes (or family
of classes) which are supposed to be the successor or frontend to the
bispl* and spl* routines.

Josef