[SciPy-Dev] FIR filter design - patch attached to ticket #457

Sat Nov 13 20:46:48 CST 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Warren Weckesser <
>> warren.weckesser@enthought.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For any of you interested in FIR filter design, feedback on the patch in
>>> ticket #457 (http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/457) would be
>>> appreciated.
>>>

>> What about negative frequencies? Do you want to limit yourself to real
>> filters? I expect yes ;) But at some point I want to add my version of the
>> Remez algorithm which I use to design complex filters and it would be nice
>> to have a ready made template for the interface.
>>

> Also, I've always found it easier to design with actual frequencies rather
> than setting the sampling frequency to 1. The conversion isn't difficult,
> but it is repetitive and usually required which makes it something the
> software  should do. Most filter specs are in frequency and it just makes
> life easier.

That is what the `nyq` argument is for: specify the frequencies in whatever
units you prefer (e.g. Hz, samples per year, scores of samples per
fortnight, etc), and give the `nyq` keyword argument in the same units.

Warren