[SciPy-Dev] Pythonic Simulink clone... - how much interest?

Wed Nov 17 13:46:09 CST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 12:34 PM, James Phillips <zunzun@zunzun.com> wrote:

> I have used National Instrument's "G" graphical programming language
> (LabVIEW) extensively in industrial settings internationally.  Loops
> and complex switch/case type code seemed to me to be, hmm, difficult
> to maintain or follow program flow - especially for large industrial
> programs.  It also appeared to me that bad programmers could easily
> write much worse code in G than in other languages, but that may just
> be residual frustration talking.  My personal opinion...
>
>     James
>
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > BTW, although I'm academically interested in this, I think a gui block-
> > diagram approach is only useful for students/toy projects.
> >
> > I'm an old electrical engineer.  Back in the day, we used to draw
> schematics
> > (by hand).  Today, we use hardware description languages.  There's
> reasons
> > why using pictures to describe designs has been replaced by text:
> >
> > * pictures work well only for low complexity.  For complex designs,
> > productivity becomes unacceptably low
> > * What you see is all you got - text is easy to integrate with any kind
> of
> > tool.

Simulink is one way to describe a system for simulation and might not be the
best
for complex systems. Is there any other language which is particularly
suitable for such things? Simulink does have an advantage in that companies
will sometimes supply blocks that model their product, although such blocks
are sometimes binary blobs that can't easily be modified.

Chuck