[SciPy-Dev] deprecations/removals for 0.9.0

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Sun Nov 28 06:04:32 CST 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 4:14 AM, Ralf Gommers
>> <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Ralf Gommers
>> > <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>

>> > Changes for ndimage, linalg and sparse are at
>> > https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/commits/deprecations. I have not
>> > touched
>> > the sparse matrix methods yet, since Matthieu had a question on those
>> > and
>> > Pauli has un-deprecated one already in his arpack branch.
>> >
>> > Changes for stats are at
>> > https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/tree/stats-work.
>> > There are also several small bugfixes and the new kendalltau
>> > implementation
>> > in that branch, if anyone is interested to review.
>>
>> I just read through your change sets, and I think they are good
>>
> Thanks for checking. I'll commit that whole branch then.
>

>> removing printcc is more than the ticket asks for
>>
>> https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/commit/3eb3bd08ddbc1950fbedcb5e68f5f5960cc1c080
>>
>> printcc is a useful function, getting a nice string/print for a list
>> of list was important when arrays where not used,  but I don't think
>> anything is using it, and it doesn't really fit in. So, I think it can
>> as well be removed completely.
>
> That's pretty much what I was thinking - it's completely unused and
> therefore can be removed.
>

>> I haven't looked at how the z, zs removal should be reflected in mstats.
>>
> Maybe better to answer first whether mstats should closely track stats or
> not. I did not touch z/zs there because they were not deprecated like the
> plain versions (but I'm not sure how important that is). There's also ticket
> 1195 for updating zmap. I can do that all at once if you agree to just
> mirror the changes to stats.

I still keep forgetting sometimes about mstats when I make changes.
Some functions in mstats are enhanced versions, that require more
decisions, but mirrored functions like the z... should be in sync.
I haven't checked all options for zmap and the corresponding mstats
version. But, since the new zmap can also handle masked arrays, the
mstats versions could be depreciated, removed completely.

I'm planning to update to scipy trunk this week, so I can "play" with
your changes, and check some of the remaining issues in stats.

Josef