[SciPy-Dev] [Numpy-discussion] life expectancy of scipy.stats nan statistics

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Sat Aug 20 20:22:40 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just looking at http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1200
Cringe, I wrote that poor code...

> I agree with Ralf that the bias keyword should be changed to ddof as
> in the numpy functions. For functions in scipy.stats, and statistics
> in general, I prefer the usual axis=0 default.

I agree for the keyword but not the axis since a user should expect
the same default behavior as in numpy for the 'same' function.

> However, I think these functions, like scipy.stats.nanstd, should be
> replaced by corresponding numpy functions, which might happen
> relatively soon. But how soon?

Anyhow, I like Mark's NA stuff for the little that I have done with it
and there still is the masked stuff. But it is still going to be a
while for it to be mainstream yet a really good numpy 2.0 feature. If
the 'skipna' could be more general then these separate na handling
functions would be unnecessary.

> Is it worth deprecating bias in scipy 0.10, and then deprecate again
> for removal in 0.11 or 0.12?
>
> Josef

+1

Bruce