[SciPy-Dev] adding chkfinite flags to linalg functions

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Aug 26 14:41:18 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 14:30, Bruce Southey <bsouthey@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/26/2011 02:09 PM, Matthew Brett wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> That is exactly what your patch is doing because people will misuse that
>>> argument just because they perceive it as faster.
>> I object to this objection.
>>
>> There's a long tradition of letting people do dangerous things if they
>> want to.  Here the option is sensibly labeled and it's not the
>> default.
>
> So why not have the patch remove all the calls to asarray_chkfinite()?

Because we want the *default* to be safe for all inputs. We want to
*allow* people to avoid those checks when they have extra information
about the inputs. Adding a flag is a more convenient way to do this
than any other alternative.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."