[SciPy-Dev] import scipy.stats hangs in mod_python application

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Aug 29 01:16:39 CDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 00:32, fork <forkandwait@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Kern <robert.kern <at> gmail.com> writes:

>> > Yeah, worked great until last week.
>>
>> Would you mind answering all of the questions rather than just the first?
>
> Sorry (hehe) ... worked great for years, reliable problem, import numpy (and
> scipy) before scipy.stats.

Hmm. Check what shared libraries are being linked to all of the scipy
extension modules. There might be environment variables affecting how
the shared libraries get resolved.

>> Can you identify what changed last week? Did you change your program?  Did you
>> upgrade Apache/mod_python? That's going to be the only way to figure out what
>> is wrong.
>
> We upgraded the default python on gentoo from 2.6 to 2.7, so, like, everything
> changed and it is almost impossible to say what exactly.  My partner helped
> upgrade a bunch of math libraries, but I wasn't part of that so don't know
> exactly (yet...).  I don't *believe* that apache got upgraded, and mod_python is
> definitely not upgraded, but it was reinstalled.
>
>> You may want to take a quick look at a couple of the WSGI
>> micro-frameworks around to see if they might be able to quickly
>> implement the dispatching you need.
>>
>>   http://bottlepy.org/docs/dev/
>>   http://flask.pocoo.org/
>
> That is great advice, but (1) I am still smarting from depending on a framework
> that got dropped from current development (three years ago cherrypy would have
> been in the list above), and

FWIW, CherryPy is still being developed:

  http://www.cherrypy.org/timeline

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."