[SciPy-Dev] suitesparse vs scipy

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Tue Aug 30 08:32:09 CDT 2011

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 08:55:15 -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
[clip]
> On x86_64-apple-darwin11, building scypy 0.9.0 against python2.7
> using the clang compilers and gfortran from FSF gcc 4.6.1, I get the following
> testsuite results...
[clip]
> FAIL: test_dot (test_blas.TestFBLAS1Simple)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
>   "/sw/lib/python2.7/site-packages/scipy/lib/blas/tests/test_blas.py",
>   line 67, in test_dot
>     assert_almost_equal(f([3,-4,5],[2,5,1]),-9)
>   File "/sw/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/testing/utils.py", line
>   468, in assert_almost_equal
>     raise AssertionError(msg)
> AssertionError:
> Arrays are not almost equal to 7 decimals
>  ACTUAL: 0.0
>  DESIRED: -9

Does Numpy's test suite pass?

Either the BLAS you linked Scipy against is broken, or there are some
compatibility problems due to compilers or mixing compiler versions.

You could check which libraries your `fblas.so` and `cblas.so` in the
Scipy installation are linked against. I've never used OSX, though,
so I do not know how to do this there. You can see the same information
in the beginning of the build logs, though.

Maybe someone who is more familiar than me with OSX knows more.

--
Pauli Virtanen