[SciPy-Dev] suitesparse vs scipy

Jack Howarth howarth@bromo.med.uc....
Wed Aug 31 08:33:04 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 03:02:48PM +0100, Ben Willmore wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> > Pauli,
> >   On x86_64-apple-darwin11, building scypy 0.9.0 against python2.7 using
> > the clang compilers and gfortran from FSF gcc 4.6.1, I get the following testsuite
> > results...
>
> I'm a scipy novice, probably hanging out on the wrong list, but I know a little bit about most of the errors you're seeing.
>
> There are some differences in calling conventions between Apple's veclib and scipy's expectations which mean that various single-precision functions fail, see here:
>
> http://www.macresearch.org/lapackblas-fortran-106
>
> This can be fixed by setting 'export FFLAGS=-ff2c' before running/compiling numpy and scipy (*). For me, this fixed all test_blas failures, using a recent git clone. As far as I can tell, it doesn't introduce other problems (i.e. most tests pass).
>
> I tried this with all the standard Lion C compilers, and a couple of different versions of gfortran, with similar results (though llvm has it's own problems (**), and you shouldn't use it). So this is not a question of choosing the right compiler.
>
> Ben

This doesn't make any sense for numpy. I tried you approach of using...

export FFLAGS=-ff2c
/sw/bin/python2.7 setup.py build --fcompiler=gfortran

and while I see..

customize Gnu95FCompiler
Found executable /sw/bin/gfortran
customize Gnu95FCompiler
customize Gnu95FCompiler using config

at no point during the numpy build is anything compiled with gfortran. The resulting numpy still fails the
test_special_values tests. Note that these are claimed to be non-critical and should be disabled on darwin...

http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2011-August/016472.html

       Jack