[SciPy-Dev] Numpy and Scipy build with bento

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Jun 18 19:28:50 CDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 09:15, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 18:31:28 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:

> [clip]
>> What advantages would you see in inverting the control ?
>
> This would remove one level from the build system. The users would
> not need to learn how bscripts work, if they already are familiar
> with waf, or whatever other build system they are using.

But as David said, he's aiming for broader acceptance than the scipy
community, who mostly won't need a bscript or even waf. Personally, I
would prefer that the build system that's used be subordinated to the
packaging system. The build system should be an implementation detail,
not the interface, because we want to be able to use different build
systems for different projects, according to the individual needs of
the projects. I would love to just use bentomaker commands to install
all third party packages, not make commands for one package and waf
commands for another. So yes, from a package *writer's* perspective,
it might make sense to subordinate the packaging tool to the build
system that you chose, but from the perspective of the person
*installing* your software, in a broad ecosystem of other software,
it's better to have Bento driving.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."