[SciPy-Dev] Initial support for Harwell Boeing sparse matrix format

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Mar 1 06:44:21 CST 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 2:37 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Indeed. I wonder how we want to export this into scipy.io: I think for
>> file format it actually makes sense to say from scipy.io.format_name
>> import function instead of putting everything into scipy.io, but I
>> don't feel strongly about it either.
>>
>> cheers,
>
> +1
>
> Organizing the routines into
>   scipy.io.harwell_boeing.*
>   scipy.io.matrix_market.*
> would be clearer and provide a logical home for high-level and low-level
> APIs.

This is a good idea, I have added the code so that it works as follows:

from scipy.io.hb import read, write

> and obtain a semi-standardized result (e.g. dictionary of name->value pairs,
> where the names can be invented if not specified in the format).

This made me realized: some (yet to be supported) cases of the
HarwellBoeing format may return several matrices. Unfortunately, this
is not very well documented, so I don't think I will add the feature
any time soon.

cheers,

David