[SciPy-Dev] New machine for scipy.org

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Oct 11 02:54:58 CDT 2011

Hi Ognen,

Thank you for engaging with the community on this point.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Ognen Duzlevski <ognen@enthought.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to use this email to introduce myself - my name is Ognen
> and I am Enthought's new IT director/Unix sysadmin. I would like to
> get your opinion on perhaps moving the scipy.org machine to an Amazon
> EC2 instance. I feel that such a solution would be more flexible and
> more accessible to people (not to mention probably faster and more
> stable). The box is right now (from what I can tell) an OpenVZ
> container on an older model physical Dell server housed in our data
> center, the container itself is backed up daily but were there to be
> connectivity or hardware issues, I am not sure recovery would be
> instantaneous. The underlying OpenVZ host seems to be low on disk
> space (and so is the scipy.org container consequently). The box itself
> runs an old RedHat version (I am not even sure it can be upgraded at
> this point). None of the above is really critical but I would like to
> improve the service if I can.

Ec2 makes sense. We could finally declare scipy cloud-ready (chuckles).

A couple of questions:
  - IIRC, one of the main issue for scipy.org was memory. Do you know
how much memory was used there ?
  - What would be the backup strategy ? I think it is important to
stress to people unfamiliar with ec2 that the instance itself shall
not be considered "stable".

cheers,

David