[SciPy-Dev] New machine for scipy.org

Ognen Duzlevski ognen@enthought....
Tue Oct 11 13:41:37 CDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:54 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple of questions:
>  - IIRC, one of the main issue for scipy.org was memory. Do you know
> how much memory was used there ?

Yes, we will go with a 4-core large instance that (I think) offers 2
GB of ram. I am going to make sure that there is enough in terms of
CPU and memory, whatever we need really.

There are a bunch of things running on that machine and I would like
to start getting input on what needs to stay and what needs to go (if
anything) ;)

>  - What would be the backup strategy ? I think it is important to
> stress to people unfamiliar with ec2 that the instance itself shall
> not be considered "stable".

Well, I am planning on using an S3 bucket for storing things that need
to be permanent (in terms of configuration, data, archives mail etc.).
For the actual Linux image, we will install and bundle a new image
when ready and store it somewhere so we can always go back to it.

Of course, at any point, any involvement, advice, experiences etc. is
welcome and encouraged :)

Ognen