[SciPy-Dev] ANN: SciPy 0.10.0 beta 2

Mon Sep 19 14:08:56 CDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke@uci.edu> wrote:

> On 9/18/2011 4:02 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The first beta release of scipy 0.10.0 was, well, beta quality,
> > therefore I am pleased to announce the availability of the second 0.10.0
> > beta release. For this release over a 100 tickets and pull requests have
> > been closed, and many new features have been added. Some of the
> > highlights are:
> >
> >    - support for Bento as a build system for scipy
> >    - generalized and shift-invert eigenvalue problems in sparse.linalg
> >    - addition of discrete-time linear systems in the signal module
> >
> > Sources and binaries can be found at
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/scipy/files/scipy/0.10.0b2/, release
> > notes are copied below. SciPy 0.10 is compatible with Python 2.4 - 3.2,
> > and requires numpy 1.5.1 or higher.
> >
> > Please try this release and report problems on the mailing list.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ralf
> >

> Hello Ralf,
>
> looks good. Just some minor issues:
>
> 1) I was unable to build from scipy-0.10.0b2.zip: "error:
> src\fblaswrap.f: No such file or directory". The git branch is OK.

And I even tested the tarball for a change:(
Due to https://github.com/scipy/scipy/commit/fd20b082#diff-8

While checking this I saw that inv.v is missing in the tarball as well, but
that file doesn't seem to be used. Does anyone know what it's doing there?

> 2) Can the file japanese_utf8.txt in scipy\io\matlab\tests\data somehow
> be marked as binary on github? It is automatically converted to Windows
> line endings such that test_mio.test_load fails.
>
> 3) Building with Intel C compiler fails on Windows due to a bug in
> Cython 0.15, which has recently been fixed
> <
> https://github.com/cython/cython/commit/0443ad3d55f0a4762d4009bc606cb98ee4f4a1d6
> >.
> The following files are affected:
>
> interpolate/interpnd.c
> io/matlab/mio5_utils.c
> io/matlab/mio_utils.c
> io/matlab/streams.c
> spatial/ckdtree.c
> spatial/qhull.c

So almost all Cython files are affected, no matter which Cython version was
used on them. Patching my version of Cython 0.15 with just that bugfix is
probably preferable to using current Cython master. Does that sound OK?

> 5) Two known failures in test_arpack.test_complex_nonsymmetric_modes and
> test_arpack.test_symmetric_modes.
> Ticket 1515 <http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1515>.
>
> Yeah, that's turning into a never ending story.

Ralf