[SciPy-Dev] stats.ttest_ind doc

Deniz Turgut dturgut@gmail....
Fri Apr 6 01:10:54 CDT 2012

docs [1] say that ttest_ind:

  Calculates the T-test for the means of TWO INDEPENDENT samples of scores.
  This is a two-sided test for the null hypothesis that 2 independent
samples have identical average (expected) values.

This function performs t-test for two independent samples with
*identical variances*. There is also a form of t-test for independent
samples with different variances, also known as Welch's t-test [2]. I
think it is better to include the 'identical variance' assumption in
the doc to avoid confusion.

PS: I could do the edit. I registered but looks like I need edit
rights. And apparently this is the place to ask for it. My username:
avaris

[1] http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.stats.ttest_ind.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welch's_t_test