[SciPy-Dev] Contributing to SciPy?

Sat Aug 4 06:06:05 CDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Thomas Haslwanter <
thomas.haslwanter@alumni.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
> I found an error on the SciPy Cookbook (described below), and wanted to
> fix it.
> So I wrote a corrected version and a unittest procedure. But now I don't
> know
> how I can submit/contribute it to SciPy. (BTW, the wiki did not let me to
> change
> it, even after I registered.)

That's odd. Can other people edit that page (I can)?

> Is the only way to pull the whole sourcecode,
> install Fortran and C++ compilers, etc? Or can I just submit Python code?
> Please let me know.
>
> The Cookbook isn't part of the SciPy source code, so in this case the only
way is to edit the wiki page. Or open a ticket as you did:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1706

If your question is how you would go about adding this function in
scipy.signal, which as I noted on #1706 was discussed before, you can
attach patches to Trac. The better way (i.e. lower overhead for scipy devs)
would indeed be to use git and send a pull request. How to do that is
described at https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/HACKING.rst.txt.

Ralf

The problem: