[SciPy-Dev] Suggested Change to io.wavfile

Brian Hone brianhone@gmail....
Thu Aug 9 10:08:01 CDT 2012

Hi folks,

I'm running into a wavfile read error which appears to be caused by
slight problems in wavfile meta-data.  (Specifically, the meta-data
mis-reports the number of frames).  Unfortunately, 2/3 of the wav files
I've randomly sampled have this problem, and most audio packages just
deal with it.

I notice from a search that a lot of people have this problem with
io.wavfile.read:

/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/scipy/io/wavfile.pyc in read(file)
     125             else:
     126                 fmt = '<i'
--> 127             size = struct.unpack(fmt, data)[0]
     128             fid.seek(size, 1)
     129     fid.close()

Here's a fix - just calculate the actual file length and use the minimum
or the file length and the meta-data reported length.

113,121c113
<
<     ## Calculate the actual file length in case meta-data is incorrect
<     current_pos = fid.tell()
<     fid.seek(0,2)
<     actual_file_length = fid.tell()
<     fid.seek( current_pos )
<     total_length = min( fsize, actual_file_length )
<
<     while (fid.tell() < total_length):
---