[SciPy-Dev] Mountain Lion Scipy-dev build fails (Ralf Gommers)

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Wed Aug 15 01:37:05 CDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Aron Ahmadia <aron@ahmadia.net> wrote:

> Ralf,
>
> I'm not sure how much you enjoy reading Ruby, but here are the details on
> where things are happening in brew.
>
> Here's the Python formula for actually downloading/configuring/building
> (no flags added here):
> https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/python.rb
> Compiler flags are picked up here:
> https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Homebrew/extend/ENV.rb

Thanks Aron. Ruby reads pretty much like Python, with a few : and => mixed
in, so no problem.

So they do add all possible sse flags, like:

def gcc
    set_cpu_cflags 'core2 -msse4', :penryn => 'core2 -msse4.1'

If you do a regular Framework build with configure/make steps, this doesn't
happen (I think). So the question is what to do now. Perhaps this can be
fixed in scipy, does anyone know? And are other projects using distutils
likely affected by this? If so, it should be fixed in Homebrew anyway.

Ralf