[SciPy-Dev] Installing multiple scipy versions for development

Travis Oliphant travis@continuum...
Fri Dec 28 17:01:27 CST 2012

This is exactly what Anaconda CE let's you do by creating environments:  http://docs.continuum.io/conda/examples/create.html

Here is more information about Anaconda CE:

- Cross-platform distribution for Linux, Windows, Mac, both 32 and 64 bit.
- Large list of included libraries, selected based on our knowledge of the Python/Scipy data analytics space
- All libraries and the Python interpreter itself are built to be installed relocatably, so you can put Anaconda into ~/anaconda or /opt/anaconda and not worry about it polluting the rest of /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib.
- Robust support for concurrently having *multiple versions* of libraries and even the Python interpreter installed all at the same time.  Switching between these is as easy as setting PATH or explicitly running a particular 'python' via its full path.  (See http://docs.continuum.io/anaconda/launcher.html#environments for more information about how this works.)
- Python package management tool that handles C extensions and shared libraries in a robust, reliable manner.  (http://docs.continuum.io/conda/intro.html)

The functionality for much of this is actually in the conda package which is available here:  https://github.com/ContinuumIO/conda or here: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/conda/1.2.1-52-g44d5674

You can also use Python virtual environments, but Anaconda's environments are intended to be more general and work with more than just different versions of Python packages.

Best regards,

-Travis