[SciPy-Dev] doc edit: discrete ppf

nicky van foreest vanforeest@gmail....
Mon Feb 6 02:52:43 CST 2012

Hi Josef,

I don't quite know which parts to review, as I don't know quite how to
figure out what parts you changed.

BTW, while searching for `percent' in
http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy-docs/tutorial/stats.rst/ I
encountered the following text:

We can obtain the list of available distribution through introspection:
>>> dist_continu = [d for d in dir(stats) if
...                 isinstance(getattr(stats,d), stats.rv_continuous)]
>>> dist_discrete = [d for d in dir(stats) if
...                  isinstance(getattr(stats,d), stats.rv_discrete)]
>>> print 'number of continuous distributions:', len(dist_continu)
number of continuous distributions: 84
>>> print 'number of discrete distributions:  ', len(dist_discrete)
number of discrete distributions:   12
Distributions can be used in one of two ways, either by passing all
distribution parameters to each method call or by freezing the
parameters for the instance of the distribution. As an example, we can
get the median of the distribution by using the percent point
function, ppf, which is the inverse of the cdf:

The sentence ` Distributions can be ...' seems to off-topic here, at
least to me. If is intentionally located at this place, the example of
the ppf is not the way to demonstrate how to freeze the rv.

Nicky