[SciPy-Dev] Trac performance?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Feb 6 20:24:51 CST 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> And github will probably continue to improve issue tracking in the future at
> a decent rate. It might make sense to get on that train now instead of
> running after the caboose later on.

Agreed.  I think it's really worth deciding explicitly if it makes
sense to continue self-hosting things like issue trackers or wikis at
this point.  For IPython we decided to self-host a wiki, but we had
our reasons and it wasn't the main site anymore, just a user-oriented
wiki.  With the new improvements to the github wiki, even that
decision might have been different for us (not sure, but at least we'd
consider it).

There's a non-negligible cost in overhead (even if Enthought
generously provides the resources and shoulders the bill) for a
project in manually hosted solutions, the streamlined administration
that GH offers as well as the ability to trivially delegate by
creating ad-hoc teams with new membership, is IMHO something worth
considering.

The only thing we kept on scipy.org for ipython were the mailing
lists: that's the one service for which there's never been a single
problem, slowdown or issue, and we saw no reason to make changes
there.  But for everything else, the move to the GH hosting facilities
has really been a net positive for us.

Just offering our perspective, not saying that scipy must necessarily
make the same choices we did.

Best,