[SciPy-Dev] Proposal for Scikit-Signal - a SciPy toolbox for signal processing

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Jan 3 14:18:49 CST 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io> wrote:
> I don't know if this has already been discussed or not.   But, I really don't understand the reasoning behind "yet-another-project" for signal processing.   That is the whole-point of the signal sub-project under the scipy namespace.   Why not just develop there?  Github access is easy to grant.
>
> I must admit, I've never been a fan of the scikits namespace.  I would prefer that we just stick with the scipy namespace and work on making scipy more modular and easy to distribute as separate modules in the first place.   If you don't want to do that, then just pick a top-level name and use it.

As mentioned by other, there are multiple reasons why one may not want
to put something in scipy. I would note that putting something in
scikits today means it cannot be integrated into scipy later. But
putting things in scipy has (implicitly at least) much stronger
requirements around API stability than a scikit, and a much slower
release process (I think on average, we made one release year).

cheers,

David