[SciPy-Dev] Proposal for Scikit-Signal - a SciPy toolbox for signal processing

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Jan 4 08:10:11 CST 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 06:37, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io> wrote:

> So, my (off the top of my head) take on what should be core scipy is:
>
> fftpack
> stats
> io
> special
> optimize]
> linalg
> lib.blas
> lib.lapack
> misc
>
> I think the other packages should be maintained, built and distributed as
>
> scipy-constants
> scipy-integrate
> scipy-cluster
> scipy-ndimage
> scipy-spatial
> scipy-odr
> scipy-sparse
> scipy-maxentropy
> scipy-signal
> scipy-weave  (actually I think weave should be installed separately and/or merged with other foreign code integration tools like fwrap, f2py, etc.)
>
> Then, we could create a scipy superpack to install it all together.     What issues do people see with a plan like this?

The main technical issue/decision is how to split up the "physical"
packages themselves. Do we use namespace packages, such that
scipy.signal will still be imported as "from scipy import signal", or
do we rename the packages such that each one is its own top-level
package? It's important to specify this when making a proposal because
each imposes different costs that we may want to factor into how we
divide up the packages.

I think the lesson we've learned from scikits (and ETS, for that
matter) is that this community at least does not want to use namespace
packages. Some of this derives from a distate of setuptools, which is
used in the implementation, but a lot of it derives from the very
concept of namespace packages independent of any implementation.
Monitoring the scikit-learn and pystatsmodels mailing lists, I noticed
that a number of installation problems stemmed just from having the
top-level package being "scikits" and shared between several packages.
This is something that can only be avoided by not using namespace
packages altogether.

There are also technical issues that cut across implementations.
Namely, the scipy/__init__.py files need to be identical between all
of the packages. Maintaining non-empty identical __init__.py files is
not feasible. We don't make many changes to it these days, but we
won't be able to make *any* changes ever again. We could empty it out,
if we are willing to make this break with backwards compatibility
once.

Going with unique top-level packages, do we use a convention like
"scipy_signal", at least for the packages being broken out from the
current monolithic scipy? Do we provide a proxy package hierarchy for
backwards compatibility (e.g. having proxy modules like
scipy/signal/signaltools.py that just import everything from
scipy_signal/signaltools.py) like Enthought does with etsproxy after
we split up ETS?

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."