[SciPy-Dev] Proposal for Scikit-Signal - a SciPy toolbox for signal processing

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Wed Jan 4 08:30:55 CST 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io> wrote:
<snip>
> So, my (off the top of my head) take on what should be core scipy is:
>
> fftpack
> stats
> io
> special
> optimize]
> linalg
> lib.blas
> lib.lapack
> misc
>
> I think the other packages should be maintained, built and distributed as
>
> scipy-constants
> scipy-integrate
> scipy-cluster
> scipy-ndimage
> scipy-spatial
> scipy-odr
> scipy-sparse
> scipy-maxentropy
> scipy-signal
> scipy-weave  (actually I think weave should be installed separately and/or merged with other foreign code integration tools like fwrap, f2py, etc.)
>
> Then, we could create a scipy superpack to install it all together.     What issues do people see with a plan like this?

My first thought is that what is 'core' could use a little more
discussion. We are using parts of integrate and signal in statsmodels
so our dependencies almost double if these are split off as a separate
installation. I'd suspect others might feel the same. This isn't a
deal breaker though, and I like the idea of being more modular,
depending on how it's implemented and how easy it is for users to grab
and install different parts.

Skipper