[SciPy-Dev] usage of inspect.getargspec ?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Jan 6 09:42:10 CST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 03:11:26PM +0000, Robert Kern wrote:
>> > My view is that simple things should be simple --- especially for the occasional user.
>
>> My main problem with this view is that I don't think that whether you
>> need a Hessian or not is the reasonable line to draw between "simple
>> things" and "not so simple things". The problem with using
>> getargspec() is that it is unreliable. It doesn't work for many
>> reasonable inputs (like say a wrapper function that wraps the real
>> function with one that takes *args,**kwds or extension functions or
>> bound methods or objects with __call__). Knowing that you have one of
>> these cases requires some rather deep experience with Python.

Just to illustrate the problem: a question with inspect by a stackoverflow user

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7615733/too-many-arguments-used-by-python-scipy-optimize-curve-fit

Josef