[SciPy-Dev] usage of inspect.getargspec ?

Fri Jan 6 14:04:18 CST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Gael Varoquaux
> > <gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> the occasional user.

> > Just to illustrate the problem: a question with inspect by a
> stackoverflow user
> >

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7615733/too-many-arguments-used-by-python-scipy-optimize-curve-fit
>
> and, I'm sorry if I sound grumpy at times.
>
> I'm spending a large amount of time on code maintenance, and this
> change promises several days of bug hunting, finding work-arounds and
> answering questions on stack overflow for no clear benefits that I can
> see, so I'd rather announce my opinion in advance.

The issue is clear I think. How about we undo this change, agree not to use
things like the inspect module unless absolutely necessary, and catch this
in review next time?

It would be good though if some people could still look at the minimize()
API. Right now it hasn't been released yet, so we can make any change that
would make it simpler/cleaner.

Cheers,
Ralf