[SciPy-Dev] suggestion: transform keyword in RBF ?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Tue Jan 10 19:02:58 CST 2012

The standard norm in RBF treats all dimensions on the same scale.
IIRC, someone (Pauli) mentioned on the mailing list before that the
data should be standardized. I was just reading the same
recommendation in Elements of Statistical Learning.

A keyword that would handle standardization (zscore or
orthonormalization) internally would be convenient for users.
I think it would be possible to use the norm keyword to define a
distance measure that is not symmetric in the dimension (mahalanobis),
but that requires thinking.

just a thought.

Josef