[SciPy-Dev] Summarizing the scikit-signal discussion

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Fri Jan 13 09:19:01 CST 2012

On 01/12/2012 02:37 PM, Jaidev Deshpande wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have attempted to summarize the recent discussion we had about the
> idea of creating a scikit for signal processing in this blog post:
>
> http://brocabrain.blogspot.com/2012/01/scikit-signal-python-for-signal.html
>
> The purpose of the post is to highlight the key arguments made in our
> discussions about scipy.signal - it's limitations and scope  - and the
> additional signal processing abilities that we would like to see in
> Python.
>
> I intend this post to be the flag-off for the scikit-signal
> development. Please let me know if I've missed anything.
>
> Thanks
I am curious why you want to jump to a 'scikit' approach especially with
the usage and power of git.

If the goal is to improve and extend parts of scipy, then a scikit is
only useful for code that has a different license than scipy. It would
be more effective to just create a new git branch. That way changes can
be easily integrated back into scipy as well as maintaining the changes
in numpy/scipy. More importantly, other scipy-dependent projects can
move and replace relevant code (assuming appropriate licensing) into
that branch thus avoiding any new dependencies in those projects.

Thus, just branch scipy, add your code (including tests and
documentation) and provide guidance/leadership on how different pieces
that people contribute can be incorporated.

Bruce