[SciPy-Dev] Cython as build dependency, file/dll size and current issues

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Thu Jul 5 14:36:18 CDT 2012

05.07.2012 21:19, Jacob VanderPlas kirjoitti:
> On 07/05/12 11:57, Matthew Brett wrote:
[clip]
>> That's what we are doing for dipy (the c files into the sdist):
>>
>> https://github.com/nipy/dipy/blob/master/setup.py#L95
>> https://github.com/nipy/dipy/blob/master/cythexts.py
>>
>> although a Bento way of doing that would probably be easier to maintain,
>
> I think this is the best compromise, if we can make it work.  The
> flexibility of fused types is a major plus.  Adding a general user-end
> dependency on cython would be a mistake, IMHO (scipy can be difficult
> enough to build as it is).  This would also allow us to depend on
> bleeding-edge cython versions for development builds, and hopefully fix
> some of the by-hand patching issues we've seen in the past.

+1 for build-time dependency for Git builds, and dumping to .c files on
sdist.

For the binary size --- stripped, it comes down to 500k. That's still a
pretty lot for a 500-line input file, but it's of the same order of
magnitude as the sparse/sparsetools .so files generated by g++.

	Pauli