[SciPy-Dev] interp2d bounds checking

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Fri Jul 6 13:51:53 CDT 2012

06.07.2012 18:19, Ralf Gommers kirjoitti:
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
[clip]
>     I've also been thinking about enlarging the griddata syntax from the
>     possibly somewhat unfriendly
>
>             griddata((x, y), z, (xi, yi), **kw)
>             griddata((x, y, z), u, (xi, yi, zi), **kw)
>
>     to the variable argument one
>
>             griddata(x, y, z, xi, yi, **kw)
>             griddata(x, y, z, u, xi, yi, zi, **kw)
>
>     which may be more familiar to users. Thoughts?
>
> That does look easier to use, but having two interfaces will be
> confusing. And deprecating the old one will be painful. What exactly do
> you have in mind to do here?

I was thinking about making the latter syntax an alias for the former,
keeping both around. But perhaps it's confusing.

Another issue is that variable arguments don't play too well with
function signatures. This is BTW one thing that is better in Python 3,
which has keyword-only arguments.

	Pauli